Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Good Works

I was reading 3 Nephi 13 today and came across these verses:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father who is in heaven.
22 Many will say to me in that day: Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name, and in thy name have cast out devils, and in thy name done many wonderful works?
23 And then will I profess unto them: I never knew you; depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
I was thinking about these verses with what I experienced this past weekend and what I believed growing up in the church. I know that this teaching is not only in the LDS church, but in other churches as well. The teaching is God will judge you by your works and as long as you are doing good, you'll be fine. There is some truth to this, but with this scripture it is a partial truth. If Christ had just gone about doing good things, healing the sick, feeding the hungry, raising the dead, casting out devils, etc., it would have been good. He would have blessed many lives and many would have still believed on His name, but He would not have been doing the Father's will. It is not enough to just do good works. It is not enough to just live in the way that you think is good. If we are not being led by the spirit in our daily lives, in the things that we do, how can we know that we are doing the right things. Sure we all want to help the poor, but what if the spirit whispered, not to? What if it told us to go into a bar, because there would be someone there that we could help? What if it told us to give our last $20 dollars to help another family? What if it told us to lay our hands on someone's head and heal them? What if the spirit told you to quit your job and learn to depend on the Father? The spirit can, will, and has asked people to do these things. Do we have the faith to follow? This past weekend I worshipped with some very beautiful families, who desire only to do the Lord's will. It was one of the best experiences I have ever had. We were moved upon by the spirit and led to pray  for each other, bless each other, even do baptisms for healing. To feel the spirit move in such a peaceful way, was amazing. I am in awe at the way the Lord works. There was no judgement, no hard feelings towards each other at all. I was one of those baptized for healing by my husband, in a river. It was so peaceful, although cold. To feel that water wash over me 7 times was so cleansing. With God, I can do all things. I share this as a witness of the power that God grants to His children, independent of an organization. "Where 2 or 3 are gathered in my name, there will I be also" (Mathew 18:20). He was there. I am grateful for this experience. He wants us to follow the Father's will do that we can come closer to Him. When we are one with the Savior, we are one with the Father. John 17. The Father's purpose is to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man. (Moses 1:39) and the way they chose to accomplish this was to build an earth whereon they could prove us, Abraham 3:25 And we will prove them herewith, to see if they will do all things whatsoever the Lord their God shall command them. We learn of God, by doing His will. Let us move forward in faith. May peace be with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment